One of my early adapters/first students Jack-a-Dreams was just pondering his goals from the Experiment and his progress since. If you’ve taken my New Year, New You classes, I would love to hear about your progress from your initial goals into present day (almost 2014) here in the comments if you’d like to share!
I dug mine up in the interest of transparency and to ponder myself.
1. Grow my magic focused writing: I wrote and published my first book, The Arte of Glamour. I have more articles up on Witchvox, I have a blog on PaganSquare, I have pieces that will be appearing in Llewellyn’s 2015 Herbal Almanac and 2015 Witches’ Companion. Good progress, in my opinion.
2. Grow my crafting business: I’ve doubled sales in my shops, La Sirene et Le Corbeau and The Glamoury Apothecary. I’ve applied to harder to get into shows this year which is a work in progress. I have several vending partners that I work with. I’ve started to get a better feel for my niche (indie/prides/SCA/yarnie shows) which means I’m no longer doing school/church shows in 2014. I expanded my ritual oil line. I started my Nuno scarf line and my silk chiffon scarf line. I started my loose incense line. I started my gypsy hair fall line. I went from votive to mason jar beeswax candles. I’ve taken on private clients for magic which I’ve found very rewarding. I am ending 2013 at a profit, even though I expanded so much and needed to buy lots of things for a new show set up and needed to buy lots of organizational items so my shop items don’t eat our house whole.
3. Work on personal magical practice: I use the ritual set up regularly that I outlined in my book which works really well for my work. I’m working on getting to a regular pooja/offering/japa/what passes for meditation for me practice going. I would like to magically cleanse my house more often.
4. Work on body love while working on eating and exercise habits: I love my body a lot more than I had in late 2011. I feel like I’ve gotten my groove back. Finding a good hair style, make up routine, fashion style has helped a lot. Eating better and losing 25 pounds since late 2011 helped a lot. Exercise is still not something I’ve made a regular habit of but I picked up Zumba, archery and a lazy yoga routine along the way. I feel pretty comfortable in my skin currently and I’m looking forward to feeling more comfortable. I rarely stress eat any more and I eat a lot of whole foods. My diet has gotten increasingly healthier. I would like to lose 35ish more pounds, but I like doing it the way I’ve been doing it; low and slow as they say. The more you lose the slower it comes off so this will probably take me three-ish years.
5. Enjoy our year of engagement together: This was a mixed bag as was most of our first year of marriage/engagement had a lot of financial stress, serious illness in loved ones, major day job changes for both Jow and me and sometimes not working the same schedule at all. We were generally happy together but it wasn’t often spent doing the things we wanted to do together. Now that our schedules have aligned, we’re settled into our new positions and our finances have improved, I think we’ll get to do more enjoyable things together. Jan-May is my slower season so we’ll have more time together.
6. Pay off my credit card debt: I paid off my consolidated credit debt in Sept. which took six years and was a tremendous burden. Now I have to just pay off my “small credit card” and store credit cards. It’s hard to say how long it will take with a variable income but it shouldn’t take more than a couple years at most. I’m about halfway to paying off my car.
7. Do more fun things: Hmmm. I’m trying to get back in the habit of having fun but it’s not so natural to me anymore. Work is more natural to me right now than fun. I’m joining the SCA which is a joint fun/business venture. Friday I’m taking an aeral acrobatics class. Jow’s birthday party on Sunday was a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to my birthday party in Jan (it better not snow) and I’ve started making things for it already. I plan on having more parties at our place between Jan-May. We had an amazing time at C. and L.’s wedding. Halifax was badass. Rise of the Pumpkins was fun. We went to lots of farms and ate a lot of yummy things. My last birthday was a bit of a wash with all the vomit and all. This year I want more fun and less vomit!