So as Jow blogged, we had a spontanous Crafting night due to An Unfortunate Incident with the Washer Machine (and Dryer).
Now, coming from a Dianic background, I’m used to crafting in my Craft and the super secret teaching of, Make Shit Up As You Go. Now. I’m trying to learn to better educated and not just *completely* flying by the seat of my pants, I’m trying to have some . . .empirical evidence that things should work the way that it should work.
So, I did some research with Mme. Yronwode through her website and one of her books and checked in with Jow’s knowledge base he picked up. And I learned, omg, hoodoo I love you! You have only a few of what could be be generously construed as “loose guidelines”, the rest you figure out on your own. My favorite kind of working, whooo!
Guidelines that seem important* in making a Mojo Bag:
1. No more than 13 ingredients! Keep it down in there!
2. Bag must stay hidden! (If you are a lady-type who wears a bra, that’s the place which is *awesome* because that’s where I would stash my shaman bags)
3. Bag must be close to your person as much as possible!
4. Items in bag must be importante, not just a bunch of shit you throw in there. The bag is going to be a spirit, not a junk drawer, treat your bag accordingly! Dress the bag!
5. Remember to keep feeding the bag (. . .I haven’t fed Ali lately, demonstrating my usual laissez-faire-the-world-is-my-tank-of-sea-monkeys approach to life which is not good for house plants or magical workings – she will be fed tonight!)
Hokay! Now a lot of bags seem to be for one purpose. My thought was, shit man, how many fucking bags am I supposed carry around on my person? I need varied shit to go down. I will experiment with multiple purposes and see what happens.
1. If me and the (heretoforth) unnamed are going to get along, I’m going to try to make it into a kindred spirit.
2. The bag being flannel seems reasonably important (though not super important). Whooo! I have cute flannel fabric scraps in omg pink! One side has little drawings of corsets and telephones and the other has pink stripes, perfect.
3. Make my list of shit I want, also referred to as: Petition papers. Some people say you should keep it a secret like a birthday candle wish. Me, I’m not too into sekrit traditions as a rule and I tend to believe if I’m shouting out my intention to the universe, my success rate will be higher. I picked (7) things I want because it’s a magical number which may also help the bag. In no order:
a. To be pretty/thin – moonstone
b. To have happy relationships – shallot peel (substitute for red onion)
c. To be happy – a tiny goddess with a quote about being happy on the back
d. To save money and keep it – camomille
e. To have money for shit I want – irish moss
f. To be successful in my creative endevours – 3 bay leaves
g. Financial stability – clear quartz
4. Sewed together the bag, listening to Rasputina. Used white cotton thread.
5. Wrote petition paper on a pink recipe card with a butterfly (transformation), trying not to have my pen leave the paper. Listen to The Money Maker as I do so.
6. Place items in the bag, making sure to charge each item appropriately.
7. Tie bag shut with green yarn I’ve hand dyed and hand spun. Seven knots and I chant a part from the Pierces’ song, “Sticks and Stones” (Seven times I pierce my heart/ now I feel the magic start/ bind my will and soul to keep/ so I will it/ so let it be)(it’s a hot vid, btw, ditto for Money Maker)
8. Dress bag with lavendar oil – front, back, top.
9. Gently spit good sipping Mexican tequila onto the bag (hey, if we’re going to be pals . . .)
10. Think Evanescence lyric to “Bring Me to Life” to bring her to life.
11. Excited flurry of energy from the bag! I ask her what her name is, she tells me.
12. Realize I forgot to put petition paper in bag. Carefully jam paper in (I’m guessing she didn’t want them to get wet from the life bring spit/tequila).
We did this on Sat. Results since Saturday:
* All of the designer suiting I liked at Bloomingdales went on massive sale, I had bought less expensive suiting at NY&Co. As a bonus, my boss got me the Bloomie’s suiting. (shit I want)
* Let’s just say on Sunday, Jow and I had a very nice evening in. (relationship)
* If I’m interviewed for Secret Project going on, it would be accolades for my past work in a creative endevour (creative)
* Opportunity for overtime (stability)
* Spent less by a lot on groceries this week, a constant bane of my existance (stability)
* Feeling pretty good with all the work I’ve been doing on my appearance (appearance) and happy in general (happy)
* Was told by a friend that he envied my life (happy)
I will keep everyone posted!
* Usual caveats – this works for me it may not work for you, use at your own risk, don’t juggle chainsaws